Name: Peter D Askew
Affiliation: Industrial Microbiological Services Ltd (IMSL)
Bio: Peter is a microbiologist with a particular interest in the interaction between microorganisms and materials and industrial processes. He has worked with many industries and has extensive knowledge of the application of biocides in processes and materials. He has a particular interest (and expertise) in measuring of the performance of materials that have been treated with the intention of creating self-disinfecting surfaces, especially with regards modelling their end use and supporting regulatory compliance.
Name: Steven Stanley
Affiliation: Light Coatings Ltd / NATEP
Bio: Dr Steven Stanley has over a decade of experience with coating processes, optical coatings design and equipment specification for precision, ophthalmic and functional thin films coatings and has worked across the thin film and engineering sector. He brings a wealth of background in varied technologies and their potential application to many device types. As well as working with Light Coatings Steven also works part time with the NATEP programme, supporting SME’s within the aviation industry to develop applications for IUK funding and providing support and guidance with their continued project development.
Name: Peter Collins
Affiliation: Peter Collins Coatings Consultancy Ltd
Bio: A consultant with expertise in coatings technology and polymer science, based on over 40 years industrial experience. A creative problem solver, with a record of leading teams in developing profitable new products, and understanding modern manufacturing techniques, to achieve high quality and world class efficiency.
- Technical Director at PRA, responsible for international coatings research, consultancy and laboratory service: analysis, testing and microbiology.
- Technical Manager at Sonneborn & Rieck Ltd (now Fujichem Sonneborn Ltd), responsible for R&D of industrial coatings across international markets.
- ICI Paints (now AkzoNobel) development and stewardship of architectural paints ranges. His last appointment was as UK Manufacturing Excellence Manager responsible for product quality and manufacturing efficiency.
Name: Dr James Redfern
Affiliation: Manchester Metropolitan University
Bio: Dr James Redfern is a Senior Lecturer and an early career interdisciplinary microbiologist. He has a track record in interdisciplinary collaborations with engineers and chemists to develop, test and understand the microbiological impact of novel chemical and engineering antimicrobial technologies/innovations. JR has published 30+ academic research papers across the discipline of microbiology, and has successfully secured income from UKRI as PI over the value of £500,000 (BBSRC + UKRI Horizon Europe Guarantee) including research to develop novel test methods for efficacy assessment of antimicrobial materials. He has an active role nationally and internationally with the development of microbiology testing methods as a member of the British Standard Institute CH216/1 Anti-microbial Hard Surfaces committee and the EU COST Action Anti-Microbial Coating Innovations to Prevent Infectious Disease, as well as an active member of the International Biodeterioration Research Group, and the International Biofilm Regulations and Standards workgroup.
Name: Dimitrios A. Lamprou
Affiliation: Queen’s University Belfast
Bio: Dimitrios Lamprou (Ph.D. MBA) is a well-known expert in Emerging Pharmaceutical Technologies (e.g., 3D Printing & Bioprinting, Electrospinning & Electrospraying, Microfluidics, and BioMEMS) for Drug Delivery Systems, Medical Devices & Implants. He is the author of over 100 peer-reviewed publications and of over 250 conference abstracts and has over 100 Oral Talks in institutions and conferences across the world. His research and academic leadership have recognised in a range of awards, including the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain Science Award and the Scottish Universities Life Sciences Alliance Leaders Scheme Award. For more info please visit https://www.emergingtechnologieslab.com/
Name: Dr Andrew Greer
Affiliation: Liteworx Ltd
Bio: Dr Drew Greer is the director of UK technology transfer start-up, Liteworx Ltd. The company is focused on delivering manufacturable self-sterilising products from prototype devices. Dr Greer holds affiliate research staff status at The University of Glasgow and has over 130 citations in the field of nanotechnology, including a recent Editor’s Choice article in Science Translational Medicine. Dr Greer has experience establishing patents, has secured multiple five-figure grants to further the commercialisation of nanotechnology, served as Guest Editor for the journal Coatings on an anti-microbial special issue, won international awards for surface science and set several world records for nano-fabrication. Dr Greer’s company, Liteworx Ltd, will be working with several of the Think Tank partners on product validation over the next 18 months, demonstrating first hand Dr Greer’s ambition to stimulate industrial engagement within the network. He believes BEST will become a powerful platform to support research funding calls and expedite dissemination of bio-effective surfaces, helping future-proof society from microbial threats.
IMSL is a specialised microbiological testing and consultancy service based in laboratories and offices near Fleet in the UK. Work is confined to materials and industrial systems (eg coatings, adhesives, plastics, textiles, spin finishes, paper and disinfectants). IMSL is highly active in the development of testing methodologies for the determination of the performance of treated articles especially with regards to supporting claims made for them at a regulatory level.
Light Coatings Ltd
Consultancy and contract R&D in vacuum thin film coating processes and characterisation. We have facilities for testing, physical property characterisation and manufacturing of R&D development batches specifically for NPD development.
Represented at the Think Tank or non-affiliated (consent required for either)
Peter Collins Coatings Consultancy Ltd
- Market opportunity analysis for raw materials and products
- Value stream mapping
- Project portfolio management and project leadership
- Product specification, design, formulation, application and performance testing
- Expert practitioner in statistically designed experimentation (DOE) for product formulation
- Patent landscape mapping, information searching and knowledge management
- Quality management systems including ISO9001; TS15949; ISO17025
- Advanced product quality planning (APQP)
- Failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA) to eliminate potential defects
- 8D problem solving for root cause analysis and implementation of preventive measures
- Lean Manufacturing and manufacturing process improvement
- Fast changeover to improve overall equipment efficiency (OEE) on filling lines (SMED)
- 5S implementation in paint and resin plants to improve workplace organisation
- Statistical process control (SPC) to keep processes running in a stable manner
Location SE England